Happy New Year! We hope that 2020 will be all that you wish it to be for you and yours horses.
I would like to start out by saying thank you to all of the Young Riders who participated in the Young Rider Camps and Clinics last year; all the Young Riders who represented Area VIII at the NAYC in Kalispell, Montana; to all the Coaches who taught and supported the riders and horses through the clinics, camps and competitions during 2019 – Emily Beshear, Wayne Quarles, Richard Picken, Reese Koffler-Stanfield, Martha Lambert, and Cathy Wieschhoff, and especially to the parents, grandparents, friends and grooms who have supported us through this program.
For 2020, Area VIII Young Riders has some new faces helping with the Young Rider program:
Young Rider Coordinator – Shelley Ryan
Young Rider Co-coordinator – Emily Watson
Fund Raising Coordinators
YR Training Session Instructors
The National Young Rider Coordinator meeting was held at the USEA Convention in Boston, MA. Many topics were discussed which are summarized below:
1. As of the meeting, the NAYC did not have a contract with a venue. We are hopeful the venue will go on with the location back at Rebecca Farm, Kalispell, Montana in July.
2. Because NAYC is no longer an International Competition, the stabling will not be fenced off as in the past, but credentials will still be used.
3. Rebecca Farm will also be hosting a Training 3-Day which Young Riders who have qualified may enter. This brings another level to our Area travel plans and must have continued discussion regarding logistics if we have riders who wish to participate.
4. EA-18 program was under much discussion, but was tabled until certain logistics could be worked out with USEA.
5. Mentorship program – held at NAYC for those Young riders who wish to learn what the officials jobs are during the event. Anyone interested must apply to the Area Coordinator who will pass the information on to the Mentorship program director. The Mentorship program requires the participants to be on the show grounds from 6 AM to 5 PM each day. They are then joined with their Area team mates for the evening. The officials are happy to teach, if you wish to learn.
6. New FEI Dessage tests! Please learn them
7. USEF requires passports for horses. Please do this early – declaring for NAYC must be done by February 28, 2020.
8. Safe Sport training is required for all participants, parents, coaches, grooms, and riders
Area VIII Fund Raising efforts are crucial. Without large donations the program cannot function. These donations are to a 501 (c) (3) and are tax deductible.
Young Riders must raise funds for the Area VIII Young Rider program if they wish to compete at NAYC.
All Young Riders must also spend time volunteering at events – 8 hours is the minimum.
NAYC for 2020
If you are interested in representing Area VIII at the NAYC for 2020, please complete a Letter of Intent and send it to me along with your spring competition schedule and have back up plans in case the original plan does not work. The Letter of Intent can be found on the website www.usea8.org.
Please have this to me by mid January.
Declaration deadline is February 28, 2020. Please initiate your application well before that date.
For those riders not ready for the NAYC program, clinics and training sessions will be offered and are being scheduled as we speak.
We will be selecting teams to compete at the Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge again this year. Letters of Intent will be required no later than June 1, 2020. If you would rather choose to ride with friends and make up your own Young Rider Team you may do so and stable with all the Young Riders
Save the dates:
- March 14 – 15 Clinic with Emily Beshear at Cobblestone Farm
- Dexter, MI
- May 16 – 17 Daniel Stewart Clinic at GlenAyre Farm
- Brownsboro, KY
- Contact Emily Watson for details
- May 16 Possible clinic in Lexington TBD
- June 1 Deadline for Letter of Intent for Select Teams at Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge
- June 16 – 18 Training Session South at KHP – mandatory training session for NAYC candidates. This precedes Midsouth Pony Club Horse Trials which is a mandatory outing for NAYC candidates.
- June 30 – July 2 Training Session North at Cobblestone Farm following Cobblestone Horse Trials, Dexter MI
- July 7 – 9 NAYC Training Camp for those going to NAYC. Open for auditing to others. Valley View Farm, Midway, KY
- July 18 Horses leave for Montana
- August 1 Select Teams will be announced
- August 15 Deadline for all paperwork and entry fees for
- Hagyard Midsouth Team Challenge
- November/December clinic TBD
More to come!
Area VIII Young Rider Coordinator